simply me

simply me

About Me

My photo
Karachi, Pakistan
"Because I am a woman, I must make unusual efforts to succeed. If I fail, no one will say, "She doesn't have what it takes." They will say, "Women don't have what it takes." ~Clare Boothe Luce

Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Library

Recently an active exchange of poetic responses began between a friend and I. He wrote this beautiful one and sent it my way...

When storms have raged and passed away
Can gentle calm succeed?
I sleep to ease a troubled mind
Sleep is the friend, I need…
With these few words I speak my mind
You in this a quest will find
My quest is clear…seek it out
Love is a tyrant…when in doubt


I got an instantaneous inspiration; and i wrote down the following words in response:

This storm is here for eternity,
NO trace of calmness can I see…
No sleep, no rest can soothe my mind
No friend can bring me glee…
This unending quest kills me everyday,
I can’t reach where I want to be…
This doubt can be tyrant I know,
Still this love shall be a part of me…


We appreciated each other's work and then obviously forgot about it. And just today when I was having my lunch; I got another set of couplets from him in response to what I wrote a week back:


Your storm once raged and passed away,
And the gentle calm did succeed
You slept and eased a troubled mind
Yet now sleep is the friend I need
In those few words you spoke your mind…
…and yet I was so lost, dumb and blind…
Your love’s still a tyrant, there’s no doubt
I’m lost and confused; my soul wants to be out…


So I just decided to post all the three poems on my blog. But as i am typing here; I can sense the birth of yet another response to his (above written)poem...here it goes..


Why live in the memories of that storm?
That was a reality once...but now its gone…
And why depend on a gentle calm?
And why not make your wounds, your balm?
Sleep- if dream is where you belong…
Sleep- if that fake world makes you strong!
Don’t be lost, cuz they won’t find you
Don’t think much cuz those thoughts might blind you…
Love’s not tyrant; lovers are;
My heart's a proof-with its shining scars.